|(Compiled by Rev. Stephen L. Testa).|
Notice:-These dates are in many cases approximate. Many of these heresies had been current in the Church years before, but only when they were officially adopted by a Church council and proclaimed by the pope as dogma of faith, did they become binding on Catholics.
And doctrine to be true must conform to the Word of God. "To the law and to the testimony; if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." (Isaiah 8:20)
At the Reformation in the 16th Century these heresies were repudiated as having no part in the Religion of Jesus as taught in the New Testament.
1. OF ALL THE HUMAN TRADITIONS taught and practiced by the Roman Catholic Church, which are contrary to the Bible, the most ancient are the prayers for the dead and the sign of the Cross. Both began 300 years after Christ....310
2. Wax Candles introduced in church about....320
3. Veneration of angels and dead saints about....375
4. The Mass, as a daily celebration, adopted....394
5. The worship of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and the use of the term, "Mother of God", as applied to her, originated in the Council of Ephesus in....431
6. Priests began to dress differently from the laity in....500
7. The doctrine of Purgatory was first established by Gregory the Great about the year....593
8. The Latin language, as the language of prayer and worship in churches, was also imposed by Pope Gregory I, 600 years after Christ....600
9. The Bible teaches that we pray to God alone. In the primitive church never were prayers directed to Mary, or to dead saints. This practice began in the Roman Church about....600
10. The Papacy is of pagan origin. The title of pope or universal bishop, was first given to the bishop of Rome by the wicked emperor Phocas, in the year ....610
Note:-Nor is there any mention in Scripture, nor in history, that Peter ever was in Rome, much less that he was pope there for 25 years; Clement, 3rd bishop of Rome, remarks that there is no real 1st century evidence that Peter ever was in Rome.
11. The kissing of the Pope's feet began in....709
12. The Temporal power of the Popes began....750
13. Worship of the cross, of Images and relics was authorized in....788
14. Holy Water, mixed with a pinch of salt and blessed by the priest, was authorized in....850
15. The veneration of St. Joseph began in....890
16. The baptism of bells was instituted by Pope John XIV, in the year.......965
17. Canonization of dead saints, first by Pope John XV in....995
18. Fastting on Fridays and during Lent were imposed in the year....998
19. The Mass was developed gradually as a sacrifice; attendance made obligatory in the 11th century.
20. The celibacy of the priesthood was decreed by Pope Hildebrand, Boniface VII, in the year....1079
21. The Rosary, or prayer beads was introduced by Peter the Hermit, in the year 1090. Copied from Hindus and Mohammedan....1090
22. The Inquisition of heretics was instituted by the Council of Verona in the year 1184. Jesus never taught the use of force to spread His religion....1184
23. The sale of Indulgences, commonly regarded as a purchase of forgiveness and a permit to indulge in sin, began in the year....1190
24. The dogma of Transubstantiation was decreed by Pope Innocent III, in the year....1215
25. Confession of sins to the priest at least once a year was instituted by Pope Innocent III, in the Lateran Council, in the year....1215
26. The adoration of the wafer (Host), was decreed by Pope Honorius in the year....1220
27. The Bible forbidden to laymen and placed in the Index of forbidden books by the Council of Valencia in....1229
28. The Scapular was invented by Simon Stock, and English monk, in the year ....1287
29. The Roman Church forbade the cup to the laity, by instituting the communion of one kind in the Council of Constance in....1414
30. The doctrine of Purgatory was proclaimed as a dogma of faith by Council of Florence in....1439
31. The doctrine of 7 Sacraments affirmed in....1439
32. The Ave Maria, part of the last half in....1508
33. The Council of Trent, held in the year 1545, declared that Tradition is of equal authority with the Bible....1545
34. The apocryphal books were added to the Bible also by the Council of Trent in....1546
35. The Creed of Pope Plus IV was imposed as the official creed 1560 years after Christ and the apostles, in....1560
36. The Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary was proclaimed by Pope Pius IX in the year....1854
37. In the year 1870 after Christ, Pope Pius IX proclaimed the dogma of Papal Infallibility....1870
38. Pope Pius X, in the year 1907, condemned together with "Modernism", all the discoveries of modern science which are not approved by the Church....1907
39. In the year 1930 Pius XI, condemned the Public Schools....1930
40. In the year 1931 the same pope Pius XI, reaffirmed the doctrine that Mary is "the Mother of God".....1931
41. In the year 1950 the last dogma was proclaimed by Pope Pius XII, the Assumption of the Virgin Mary....1950
What will be the next invention? The Roman Church says it never changes; yet, it has done nothing else but invent new doctrines which are contrary to the Bible, and has practiced rites and ceremonies taken bodily from paganism. Some scholar has found that 75% of the rites and ceremonies of the Roman Church are of pagan origin.
Note:-Cardinal Newman, in his book, "The Development of the Christian Religion," admits that "Temples, incense, oil lamps, votive offerings, holy water, holidays and season of devotions, processions, blessing of fields, sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure (of priests and monks and nuns), images ... are all of pagan origin..." (Page 359).
HERESIES are those doctrines and practices which are contrary to the Bible. They are also called "human "&dons" or "doctrines of men". Both Peter and Paul predicted and warned that In the later times "false teachers' I would rise within the Church and bring In "damnable heresies" and "doctrines of devils". (Read II Peter 2:1-3, and I Tim. 3:2-5). Jesus rebuked the Pharisees, for they transgressed the commandments of God by keeping their traditions. "In vain," He said, "they worship me by keeping for doctrines the commandments of men" (Matt. 15:3,9).
The real heretics therefore, are the Roman Catholics and the true orthodox are the Evangelical Christians.
BRETHREN! The Word of God commands us to get out of Babylon, saying: "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." (Rev. 18:4). All true Christians will remain faithful to the religion of Christ as taught in the Bible, and heed the warning of the Apostle Paul, who said: "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other Gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Gal. 1:8).